Blog: Do you have global ambitions? Focus is key
Dean Best | 26 March 2008
Ask about a company’s international ambitions and often you get some tub-thumping about wide-ranging plans to move into potentially lucrative – but hugely challenging – markets like China and India.
Often, such pronouncements are made in an attempt to keep up with the Joneses, with little thought as to how to crack the world’s emerging markets.
Today (26 March), we’re carrying an interview with Singapore Food Industries (SFI), the group behind businesses including the UK’s Daniels Chilled Foods, the owner of the New Covent Food Co. brand.
The company has enjoyed success with most of international forays (present difficulties in Ireland and China notwithstanding) and has further ambitions overseas.
Interestingly, though, its international strategy remains simple and methodical. There is, for instance, no mention of India on SFI’s list of international targets – for the simple reason, chief operating officer Philip Lim says, that the company is not in the dairy business.
With meat SFI’s core competence, markets like China and Vietnam are key and, while those two markets will present enough of a challenge, the Singapore-based firm is going about its expansion the right way – simply and methodically.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities