Blog: Do you have global ambitions? Focus is key
Dean Best | 26 March 2008
Ask about a company’s international ambitions and often you get some tub-thumping about wide-ranging plans to move into potentially lucrative – but hugely challenging – markets like China and India.
Often, such pronouncements are made in an attempt to keep up with the Joneses, with little thought as to how to crack the world’s emerging markets.
Today (26 March), we’re carrying an interview with Singapore Food Industries (SFI), the group behind businesses including the UK’s Daniels Chilled Foods, the owner of the New Covent Food Co. brand.
The company has enjoyed success with most of international forays (present difficulties in Ireland and China notwithstanding) and has further ambitions overseas.
Interestingly, though, its international strategy remains simple and methodical. There is, for instance, no mention of India on SFI’s list of international targets – for the simple reason, chief operating officer Philip Lim says, that the company is not in the dairy business.
With meat SFI’s core competence, markets like China and Vietnam are key and, while those two markets will present enough of a challenge, the Singapore-based firm is going about its expansion the right way – simply and methodically.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review