Blog: Don't tell me to 'chillax'
Dean Best | 11 August 2009
Now, I'd hate to be called a Luddite but, just sometimes, it would be better if things were just left alone.
Take the mangling of the English language. Whoever created the word 'chillax' should, frankly, be strung up. And don't get me started on 'staycation'.
Brits have had breaks at the seaside before - we don't need a new word to describe it.
Today's (11 August) unnecessary use of the word 'staycation' comes from Cornish pasty maker West Cornwall Pasty Co., who claims to be "preparing for the nation's staycation" (shudder) with a range of lollipops and sticks of rock for kids.
Not sure what would stick in my throat more - the use of that word - or chomping on sticks of rock. Was it just me who hated those as a kid?
Showing a bit more invention, the pasty peddler has come up with a ‘Kid’s Pirate Booty Box’, which includes a pasty, a bag of crisps and a bottle of Robinsons Fruit Shoot.
(For those of you out there about to yelp that pasties are not exactly the healthiest food to give to kids, the company has an answer: the pack also includes an 'activity pack' including a pirates eye-patch and hat and a treasure map).
Chief executive Richard Nieto says: “With so many of us watching our pockets and choosing to stay in the UK this summer, there is the added pressure of entertaining and treating the kids whilst we make the most of the holiday period.
“We’re certain these new products are going to appeal to kids and adults alike, in particular the Kid’s Pirate Booty Box which represents ideal value for money, priced at only GBP3.75.”
Sounds great. Not sure of the use of the word 'booty', mind.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report