Blog: Edeka's bid to buy local retail rival Kaiser's blocked
Dean Best | 2 April 2015
Germany's competition watchdog has thwarted a move from local retail giant Edeka to acquire supermarket chain Kaiser's from Tengelmann.
The Bundeskartellamt said Edeka's bid to buy the 450 Kaiser's outlets would have led to a "significant deterioration of competition" in "many already highly-concentrated markets and neighbourhoods". The regulator had concerns about competition in Greater Berlin, Munich and Upper Bavaria and North Rhine-Westphalia.
The anti-trust body also said branded manufacturers would lose "a significant independent customer" if the deal, announced by the retailers in October, was allowed.
Last month, in a preliminary assessment, the Bundeskartellamt warned the takeover would hit competition and suppliers. It said remedies put forward by the retailers failed to assuage those concerns.
Edeka said it saw the news "with great amazement and disappointment".
It added: "We will now carefully scrutinise the line of reasoning of the Federal Cartel Office and decide on the further course of action. Unfortunately, the decision of theoffice leads to great and notably avoidable uncertainties among the 16.000 employees of Kaisers’s Tengelmann. To them the decision will spoil a secure future within the cooperatively organised Edeka Group, which is driven by about 4,000 independent retailers."
Farmers in three Australian states are set to grow "millions of extra vegetables" to meet increased demand under a new supply agreement between the country's second largest grocer, Coles and US-based ...
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review