Blog: Emerging market ambitions prompted Barry Callebaut to look to PepsiCo, Chiquita execs
Dean Best | 9 April 2013
Alongside Barry Callebaut's half-year results came news the B2B chocolate giant wants a current PepsiCo executive and the former boss of Chiquita Brands International as company directors.
The Swiss group has put forward Timothy Minges, chairman of PepsiCo's business in Greater China, and Fernando Aguiree, the ex-chairman and CEO of Chiquita, for seats on its board.
Barry Callebaut's board will hold an extraordinary general meeting later this month for shareholders to vote on plans for the company to issue shares to part-fund the acquisition of Petra Foods' cocoa ingredients business - and the nominations of Minges and Aguirre will also be voted on.
A desire to boost its presence in Asia was behind Barry Callebaut's move to buy the Petra assets and, speaking to just-food yesterday, the company indicated its wish to expand in emerging markets was a key reason for asking Minges and Aguirre to join the board.
"Both of them are specifically strong in emerging markets - one in South America and one in Asia. That was a strong priority we gave to the search," Barry Callebaut CEO Juergen Steinemann said.
CFO Victor Balli added Minges had spent the bulk of his career in China and Asia. Balli also put forward another factor in Aguirre's nomination. "He has a lot of know-how in sustainability and Fairtrade as you can imagine."
The Petra deal, which set to be finalised this summer, has faced questions in recent weeks after the Singapore group booked a fall in annual profits. However, Barry Callebaut's management has defended the planned acquisition and insisted the Petra assets - with their presence in emerging markets - are an "excellent strategic fit".
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis