Blog: Experts blame growing portion sizes for obesity
Hannah Abdulla | 15 September 2015
Experts say portion size affects how much we eat
A team of researchers from the University of Cambridge have blamed increasing portion sizes in the UK for obesity.
Data published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews by a team of experts that reviewed 61 studies suggests portion size affects how much we eat. The team said people were "reluctant" to leave food on a plate.
According to the British Heart Foundation's Portion Distortion Report between 1993 and 2013, Shepherd's pie ready meals almost doubled in size and an individual chicken pie is now 40% bigger. A family pack of crisps has grown 50% from 100g-150g on average.
The team called on the government to introduce measures to force smaller packs to offer better value for money and upper limits on the size of energy-dense foods.
Dr Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at Public Health England, told the BBC: "This study clearly demonstrates that reducing portion sizes is a successful way to cut calories.
"It's important to keep an eye on portion sizes when cooking, shopping and eating out to avoid overeating and help maintain a healthy weight."
The team also recommended smaller plates and glasses in foodservice outlets would aid people in eating less.
Lotus Bakeries, the Belgium-based snacks maker, has drawn up plans to build a factory in the US to produce its flagship Lotus Biscoff biscuits....
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities