Blog: Faster than the speed of light
Catherine Sleep | 22 July 2004
Sometimes the news moves faster than feels comfortable. Last week just-food news editor Kate Barker wrote a feature about the Chinese retail sector. For years it’s been touted as the next big destination for western retailers seeking to expand beyond their saturated home markets. The world’s two largest retailers, Carrefour of France and Wal-Mart of the USA, had cautiously dipped a toe in this notoriously tough market, but their smaller competitors seemed loath to follow.
And yet… just as we were putting the final touches to her feature, what do you know? Out of the blue Tesco announced it had agreed a £140 million 50/50 joint venture agreement with Chinese food and beverage producer Ting Hsin, whose subsidiary Ting Cao owns the Hymall chain of stores in China. I assured Kate this was good news rather than bad, as it made her article even more timely than before… but it did of course need rewriting!
Anyway, members can enjoy the fruits of her labour in the current Feature of the Week, while an open-access feature brings you a profile of the Philippines food sector. A word of warning: don’t read that one when you’re hungry as Bruce Hoggard describes the local cuisine in tantalising detail as well the mechanics of the food industry.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities