Blog: Fat lot of good that will do
Dean Best | 9 May 2007
Another US company has said it will move away from using trans fats.
Wal-Mart has announced that its Supercenter and Neighbourhood Market delis are to use trans fat free oil for all their on-site frying. The move covers products including fried chicken and apple pie.
The company claimed the change could make a difference to the health of US consumers. There is a link between trans fats and heart disease, a leading killer across the Atlantic. Research suggests that trans fats increase LDL cholesterol, which clogs arteries and can consequently lead to an increase in cholesterol-related illnesses, such as heart disease.
"Small changes can have a big effect for many people," said Peter Redmond, vice president of Wal-Mart's deli division.
Fair play to Wal-Mart for ditching trans fats but will US consumers really become healthier when companies still push calorie-laden products like fried chicken?
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report