Blog: Fat Man Walking
Catherine Sleep | 22 March 2006
We all have our demons, but few of us tackle them as courageously as Steve Vaught. Morbidly obese, Vaught had tried pretty much all the standard weight loss methods to no avail. Desperate to shed the pounds for the sake of his health, he put on some boots and started walking.
2,300 miles later he’s still walking. He’s also lost eight stone. Another 600 miles and he reaches his goal of New York City. These days it seems no personal endeavour is worth its salt without a blog, and Vaught is no exception.
As the good man says: “I’m not happy because I’m fat and being fat makes every day unhappy”. In today’s tolerant, non-discriminatory climate this makes for uncomfortable reading, but just as most of the smokers I know are trying, or have tried in the past, to give up, so most of the overweight people I know would like to be slimmer.
It’s not necessary for everyone to take six months out of their life and walk across America of course, but a little exercise is generally a good start.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities