Blog: Fat Man Walking
Catherine Sleep | 22 March 2006
We all have our demons, but few of us tackle them as courageously as Steve Vaught. Morbidly obese, Vaught had tried pretty much all the standard weight loss methods to no avail. Desperate to shed the pounds for the sake of his health, he put on some boots and started walking.
2,300 miles later he’s still walking. He’s also lost eight stone. Another 600 miles and he reaches his goal of New York City. These days it seems no personal endeavour is worth its salt without a blog, and Vaught is no exception.
As the good man says: “I’m not happy because I’m fat and being fat makes every day unhappy”. In today’s tolerant, non-discriminatory climate this makes for uncomfortable reading, but just as most of the smokers I know are trying, or have tried in the past, to give up, so most of the overweight people I know would like to be slimmer.
It’s not necessary for everyone to take six months out of their life and walk across America of course, but a little exercise is generally a good start.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020