Blog: Fonterra under fire for DCD "cover-up"
Katy Askew | 1 February 2013
Fonterra has come into the firing line this week, with allegations flying around that the dairy giant collaborated with government officials in an attempt to "cover-up" the dicyandiamide (DCD) issue.
According to local reports, "industry sources" are saying that Fonterra and the New Zealand Ministry of Primary Industries were in cahoots, attempting to cover up the presence of DCD residues, which were apparently first detected in September. These sources have suggested that the small level of DCD found and the fact it does not pose a threat to health suggest that the issue has in fact blown up because of the delay in reporting.
With billions of dollars of exports at stake, it is unsurprising that we are seeing some finger-pointing. However, with the threat that export countries will close their doors to NZ dairy products en mass, the New Zealand dairy industry will have to pull together if it is going to convince export markets that its products are safe.
2013 has not got off to a good start for Fonterra and the dairy group will undoubtedly be hoping that the next 11 months will bring a reversal of fortunes. What do you think 2013 will have in store? Share your outlook for the next 11 months by completing our confidence survey for your chance to win a year's free membership of just-food.com. Click here to have your say. Results will be reported back to you in our February webinar.
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020