Blog: Fonterra under fire for DCD "cover-up"
Katy Askew | 1 February 2013
Fonterra has come into the firing line this week, with allegations flying around that the dairy giant collaborated with government officials in an attempt to "cover-up" the dicyandiamide (DCD) issue.
According to local reports, "industry sources" are saying that Fonterra and the New Zealand Ministry of Primary Industries were in cahoots, attempting to cover up the presence of DCD residues, which were apparently first detected in September. These sources have suggested that the small level of DCD found and the fact it does not pose a threat to health suggest that the issue has in fact blown up because of the delay in reporting.
With billions of dollars of exports at stake, it is unsurprising that we are seeing some finger-pointing. However, with the threat that export countries will close their doors to NZ dairy products en mass, the New Zealand dairy industry will have to pull together if it is going to convince export markets that its products are safe.
2013 has not got off to a good start for Fonterra and the dairy group will undoubtedly be hoping that the next 11 months will bring a reversal of fortunes. What do you think 2013 will have in store? Share your outlook for the next 11 months by completing our confidence survey for your chance to win a year's free membership of just-food.com. Click here to have your say. Results will be reported back to you in our February webinar.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019