Blog: Food a sticking spot in European sales "rebound"
Katy Askew | 10 January 2013
Following three straight months of decline, European retail sales picked up slightly in November. However, as Christmas approached, food remained a soft spot.
According to the latest figures from Eurostat, month-on-month sales in the euro area rose by 0.1%. But before we start hailing the beginnings of an upturn in Europe, it must be remembered that this month-on-month rise seems a natural trend given the approach of Christmas. Year-on-year, the figure is far less encouraging as euro zone sales were down 2.6%
For our industry, the numbers are more gloomy still. Food, drink and tocacco sales were down 0.3% month-on-month and 2.1% year-on-year. Countries that saw the biggest declines were - unsurprisingly - Spain, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Portugal.
With the euro zone struggling on, how do you expect your business fair over the coming 12 months? Do you expect to see an up-tick in economic activity on the continent? Share your views in our 2013 confidence survey. The results will be presented in a webinar in February.
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- Mead Johnson offsets China slowdown
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report