Blog: Food a sticking spot in European sales "rebound"
Katy Askew | 10 January 2013
Following three straight months of decline, European retail sales picked up slightly in November. However, as Christmas approached, food remained a soft spot.
According to the latest figures from Eurostat, month-on-month sales in the euro area rose by 0.1%. But before we start hailing the beginnings of an upturn in Europe, it must be remembered that this month-on-month rise seems a natural trend given the approach of Christmas. Year-on-year, the figure is far less encouraging as euro zone sales were down 2.6%
For our industry, the numbers are more gloomy still. Food, drink and tocacco sales were down 0.3% month-on-month and 2.1% year-on-year. Countries that saw the biggest declines were - unsurprisingly - Spain, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Portugal.
With the euro zone struggling on, how do you expect your business fair over the coming 12 months? Do you expect to see an up-tick in economic activity on the continent? Share your views in our 2013 confidence survey. The results will be presented in a webinar in February.
Wow. Your correspondent is penning this blog following precious little sleep after the combination of a humid night in London and the emergence of the most significant event in UK history since 1945 m...
The last three Unilever CEOs have joined present chief executive Paul Polman in writing to the company's staff to warn the group's UK operations would be "negatively impacted" by the country leaving t...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- ACCC slams Heinz for 'unhealthy' kids range
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights