Blog: Food a sticking spot in European sales "rebound"
Katy Askew | 10 January 2013
Following three straight months of decline, European retail sales picked up slightly in November. However, as Christmas approached, food remained a soft spot.
According to the latest figures from Eurostat, month-on-month sales in the euro area rose by 0.1%. But before we start hailing the beginnings of an upturn in Europe, it must be remembered that this month-on-month rise seems a natural trend given the approach of Christmas. Year-on-year, the figure is far less encouraging as euro zone sales were down 2.6%
For our industry, the numbers are more gloomy still. Food, drink and tocacco sales were down 0.3% month-on-month and 2.1% year-on-year. Countries that saw the biggest declines were - unsurprisingly - Spain, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Portugal.
With the euro zone struggling on, how do you expect your business fair over the coming 12 months? Do you expect to see an up-tick in economic activity on the continent? Share your views in our 2013 confidence survey. The results will be presented in a webinar in February.
French politicians have passed legislation that bans large stores from throwing away unsold food in a bid to tackle waste....
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Wal-Mart acts on animal welfare, antibiotics
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)