Blog: Food a sticking spot in European sales "rebound"
Katy Askew | 10 January 2013
Following three straight months of decline, European retail sales picked up slightly in November. However, as Christmas approached, food remained a soft spot.
According to the latest figures from Eurostat, month-on-month sales in the euro area rose by 0.1%. But before we start hailing the beginnings of an upturn in Europe, it must be remembered that this month-on-month rise seems a natural trend given the approach of Christmas. Year-on-year, the figure is far less encouraging as euro zone sales were down 2.6%
For our industry, the numbers are more gloomy still. Food, drink and tocacco sales were down 0.3% month-on-month and 2.1% year-on-year. Countries that saw the biggest declines were - unsurprisingly - Spain, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Portugal.
With the euro zone struggling on, how do you expect your business fair over the coming 12 months? Do you expect to see an up-tick in economic activity on the continent? Share your views in our 2013 confidence survey. The results will be presented in a webinar in February.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report