Blog: Food and the environment: a briefing
Dean Best | 28 October 2010
I want to take a break from the mountain of third-quarter results published today (28 October) to point you towards just-food's latest management briefing - just one of the benefits of subscribing to our site.
Our four-part How to green your supply chain looks at how the food industry is trying to mitigate its impact on the environment.
The briefing analyses how suppliers and food retailers are working together to build the environment into the buying process.
UK food producer Premier Foods plc, retailer Sainsbury's and Belgium-based grocer Delhaize are highlighted in their moves to include high-level executive involvement into their policies on sustainability.
The briefing also looks at the involvement of other stakeholders from government and unions and from farming groups to aid charities, citing prominent multi-stakeholder initiatives such as the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) and the Marine Stewardship Council.
Part three discusses the challenges in developing labels that accurately measure a foodstuff's impact on the environment, while part four assesses how industry can measure any advances it is making.
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group