Blog: Food and the environment: a briefing
Dean Best | 28 October 2010
I want to take a break from the mountain of third-quarter results published today (28 October) to point you towards just-food's latest management briefing - just one of the benefits of subscribing to our site.
Our four-part How to green your supply chain looks at how the food industry is trying to mitigate its impact on the environment.
The briefing analyses how suppliers and food retailers are working together to build the environment into the buying process.
UK food producer Premier Foods plc, retailer Sainsbury's and Belgium-based grocer Delhaize are highlighted in their moves to include high-level executive involvement into their policies on sustainability.
The briefing also looks at the involvement of other stakeholders from government and unions and from farming groups to aid charities, citing prominent multi-stakeholder initiatives such as the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) and the Marine Stewardship Council.
Part three discusses the challenges in developing labels that accurately measure a foodstuff's impact on the environment, while part four assesses how industry can measure any advances it is making.
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Brazil giants JBS, BRF probed over alleged bribery