Blog: Food and the environment: a briefing
Dean Best | 28 October 2010
I want to take a break from the mountain of third-quarter results published today (28 October) to point you towards just-food's latest management briefing - just one of the benefits of subscribing to our site.
Our four-part How to green your supply chain looks at how the food industry is trying to mitigate its impact on the environment.
The briefing analyses how suppliers and food retailers are working together to build the environment into the buying process.
UK food producer Premier Foods plc, retailer Sainsbury's and Belgium-based grocer Delhaize are highlighted in their moves to include high-level executive involvement into their policies on sustainability.
The briefing also looks at the involvement of other stakeholders from government and unions and from farming groups to aid charities, citing prominent multi-stakeholder initiatives such as the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) and the Marine Stewardship Council.
Part three discusses the challenges in developing labels that accurately measure a foodstuff's impact on the environment, while part four assesses how industry can measure any advances it is making.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report