Blog: Food companies hungry for Suarez spotlight
Dean Best | 25 June 2014
Brand owners from Mars Inc to Mondelez International were very quick off the mark yesterday after Uruguay footballer Luis Suarez allegedly bit an Italian opponent at the World Cup in Brazil, taking to Twitter to grab a chunk of the spotlight for themselves.
Cheeky marketeers at brands including Snickers and Trident speedily posted Tweets in the aftermath of the incident as the social network buzzed over whether Suarez - who has previous - had bit an opponent again.
Snickers gave us this effort:
— SNICKERS® (@SNICKERS) June 24, 2014
While Trident opted instead for a new tagline (of sorts):
Chew Trident. Not soccer players. #ITAvsURU
— Trident Gum (@tridentgum) June 24, 2014
Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser brand, the World Cup's "official beer", chimed in with:
— Budweiser FC (@BudweiserFC) June 24, 2014
In the UK, restaurant chain Nando's was one of the first to spot the marketing opportunity:
— Nando's (@NandosUK) June 24, 2014
While, in Suarez's native Uruguay, where his bad-boy reputation has been sent up in other ad campaigns, McDonald's suggested the footballer visit one of its restaurants:
Hola @luis16suarez, si te quedaste con hambre vení a darle un mordisco a una BigMac ;)— McDonald's Uruguay (@McDonalds_Uy) June 24, 2014
If, however, Suarez, Uruguay's talisman, is thrown out of the tournament (as many argue he should be), one wonders whether McDonald's local management will be choking on the gherkins as that will surely spell the end of the nation's chances in Brazil.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019