Blog: Food crisis? Pah, Asda are selling 2p sausages!
Dean Best | 4 June 2008
With riots over food shortages breaking out in countries from Haiti to Egypt and the outlook for global food production bleak, you’d be forgiven for thinking the world is facing something of a food crisis.
You’d be right, of course, but don’t worry about all that doom and gloom emanating from the UN Food Summit in Rome – because those kind folk at Asda are selling sausages for 2p!
Yes, while more people around the world are going hungry, those kind folks at Asda are selling cut-price bangers!
Alas, not everyone will be popping into their nearest Asda to stock up on cheap sausages.
“Good old Asda, always concerned for its customers, hardly a thought for its profits,” grumbles Bob Farrand, national director of the Guild of Fine Food.
“Will supermarkets ever look beyond the next set of trading figures and consider even the medium term impact of their quest for cheap food? Now that world grain shortages are forcing up pork prices and pig farmers are dying on their feet, what does Asda do? Launch a 2p sausage.”
For its part, Asda reckons it is merely helping cash-strapped UK families. “We thought the idea of a 2p sausage would be welcome news in the aisles,” insists Asda sausage buyer Jenny Liggat.
“Families are feeling the impact of the credit crunch in their pockets.”
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements