Blog: Food crisis? Pah, Asda are selling 2p sausages!
Dean Best | 4 June 2008
With riots over food shortages breaking out in countries from Haiti to Egypt and the outlook for global food production bleak, you’d be forgiven for thinking the world is facing something of a food crisis.
You’d be right, of course, but don’t worry about all that doom and gloom emanating from the UN Food Summit in Rome – because those kind folk at Asda are selling sausages for 2p!
Yes, while more people around the world are going hungry, those kind folks at Asda are selling cut-price bangers!
Alas, not everyone will be popping into their nearest Asda to stock up on cheap sausages.
“Good old Asda, always concerned for its customers, hardly a thought for its profits,” grumbles Bob Farrand, national director of the Guild of Fine Food.
“Will supermarkets ever look beyond the next set of trading figures and consider even the medium term impact of their quest for cheap food? Now that world grain shortages are forcing up pork prices and pig farmers are dying on their feet, what does Asda do? Launch a 2p sausage.”
For its part, Asda reckons it is merely helping cash-strapped UK families. “We thought the idea of a 2p sausage would be welcome news in the aisles,” insists Asda sausage buyer Jenny Liggat.
“Families are feeling the impact of the credit crunch in their pockets.”
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report