Blog: Food firms secure government funding for technology
Michelle Russell | 10 December 2012
Chilled foods group Bakkavor is one of thirty food manufacturers to have received UK government funding to drive efficiency in food technology.
The firms have received around GBP11M worth of funding from the UK Government, provided for the development of new technologies and processes. These could include increasing efficiency and reducing waste in the beef supply chain, increasing bread manufacturing efficiency and sustainability and introducing more energy efficient air distribution systems for cooling food factories.
Food and Farming Minister David Heath said investment in research and technology will help keep the UK at the "forefront of technology innovation".
He added: "In an increasingly hungry world these new technologies and manufacturing techniques will help the UK's food processing sector use fewer natural resources and be more efficient. It will enable the sector to fully explore its potential as a real engine for economic growth."
The grant funding is being provided by the UK’s innovation agency, the Technology Strategy Board, Defra, the Scottish Government, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report