Blog: Food firms secure government funding for technology
Michelle Russell | 10 December 2012
Chilled foods group Bakkavor is one of thirty food manufacturers to have received UK government funding to drive efficiency in food technology.
The firms have received around GBP11M worth of funding from the UK Government, provided for the development of new technologies and processes. These could include increasing efficiency and reducing waste in the beef supply chain, increasing bread manufacturing efficiency and sustainability and introducing more energy efficient air distribution systems for cooling food factories.
Food and Farming Minister David Heath said investment in research and technology will help keep the UK at the "forefront of technology innovation".
He added: "In an increasingly hungry world these new technologies and manufacturing techniques will help the UK's food processing sector use fewer natural resources and be more efficient. It will enable the sector to fully explore its potential as a real engine for economic growth."
The grant funding is being provided by the UK’s innovation agency, the Technology Strategy Board, Defra, the Scottish Government, the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
How can diet-related ill-health be tackled? How can the health and wellbeing of the population improve? Such a complex issue is often reduced to soundbites and brickbats, with industry in the firing l...
Dairy processors in Australia believe the agreement between Canberra and Beijing will make them more competitive in a key export market....
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- Focus: Can BRF deliver aggressive growth?
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Danone, General Mills, Chobani "mislead parents"
- Wrigley opposes Perfetti Van Melle "WTF" TM
- Dutch confirm second bird flu outbreak
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Dairy Product Production in China
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report