Blog: Food inflation eases as stores boost offers
Michelle Russell | 4 August 2011
UK shop-price growth slowed in the last month as food inflation eased and retailers offered discounts to attract shoppers, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
Food inflation slowed to 5.2% in July from 5.7% a month earlier, while retail prices rose by 2.8% from a year earlier after advancing 2.9% in June, the BRC and Nielsen revealed yesterday (3 August).
BRC director general Stephen Robertson said the fall in overall shop price inflation came almost entirely from food.
"Good crops of seasonal fresh fruit and vegetables boosting supplies and cheaper animal feed easing the pressure on meat prices were the prime reasons food inflation fell, offering some respite to squeezed household budgets.," he said.
The fall will no doubt bring welcome relief to UK shoppers, who are seeing their finances continually squeezed. But there is also no doubt that shoppers will continue looking for savings to help pay for increases in other household bills.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image