Blog: Food prices in the spotlight in France
Dean Best | 22 February 2011
The debate over food prices is being heard all over the food industry and beyond - and in different markets all over the world. This week, the issue is of particular importance in France, with retailers and suppliers needing to strike this year's pricing contracts by next Monday (28 February).
After changes to legislation in 2008, the days of retrospective discounting are over and suppliers have to put everything on the table at the start of the year. And what are always tough discussions have become even more tense due to the volatility in commodity costs.
Yesterday, at the French farm show SIA, which is being held in Paris, representatives of the farming, manufacturing and retailing sectors debated the issues of contracts, prices and margins.
Carrefour general secretary Pierre-Alexandre Teulié, Jean-René Buisson, president of ANIA, the French food manufacturers' association, and Xavier Beulin, president of France's farmers federation, the FNSEA, took part in a seminar that highlighted the differences of opinion between the different parts of the supply chain - but also the calls for industry to work together.
"If we don't all work together, we're all sunk!" Carrefour's Teulié said when asked to identify a kery concern for the year ahead. Retailers and suppliers have under a week to find a compromise.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review