Blog: Food vocabulary can be a mouthful
Dean Best | 2 November 2007
Aside from writing about the food industry every day, it’s not often I get to marry my love of all things food with an interest in language.
However, in the efforts of improving my grasp of the English language (all in the name of professionalism you know) I have for some time now been signed up to an email service from the website http://www.wordsmith.org Every day it emails me an unusual word and its meaning, thus expanding the already colourful vocabulary used here at just-food.
It has to be said, I don’t often get an opportunity to use many of the words sent my way, particularly around financial results season. But, as luck would have it, this week’s words were all related to food and I thought you might like to read them.
Monday: verjuice (VUHR-joos), noun - the sour juice of unripe grapes, crab apples, etc. Adjective - Sour in temper. (From French verjus, from vert (green) + jus (juice).
Tuesday: jentacular (jen-TAK-yuh-luhr), adjective - Relating to breakfast. (From Latin jentare - breakfast).
Wednesday: cibarious (si-BAR-ee-uhs), adjective - Relating to food or edible.
Thursday: macaronic (mak-ah-RON-ik), adjective - Involving a mixture of languages. (From Latin macaronicus, from Italian dialect maccarone (macaroni), probably alluding to the jumble of macaroni and sauce on a plate.
Friday: xerophagy (zi-ROF-uh-jee), noun - the eating of dry food, especially food that's cooked without oil.
Of course I expect to see some of these words employed with imagination over the next week in any press releases or readers' comments we get in.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities