Blog: Former food exec killed in Mumbai attacks
Dean Best | 27 November 2008
The terror attacks in the Indian city of Mumbai have shocked the world. Over 100 people have been indiscriminately shot dead and hostages taken in the country's commercial and financial centre.
Among the foreigners killed in the attacks was UK yachting tycoon Andreas Liveras. The businessman made his fortune in the food industry.
According to Mr Liveras's biography on his company's website, he took as job as a deliveryman at the Fleur De Lys bakery in Kensington when he and his family emigrated from Cyprus to London in 1963.
Five years later, Mr Liveras bought the business; in 1985, he sold the company to Express Dairies in an “eight-figure multi-million pound deal”.
When Fleur De Lys was sold, it had become one of the largest independent manufacturers of frozen cakes in Europe.
Mr Liveras then indulged his passion for yachts and built a successful business in the sector.
Our thoughts and condolences go to his family and friends.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report