Blog: Former food exec killed in Mumbai attacks
Dean Best | 27 November 2008
The terror attacks in the Indian city of Mumbai have shocked the world. Over 100 people have been indiscriminately shot dead and hostages taken in the country's commercial and financial centre.
Among the foreigners killed in the attacks was UK yachting tycoon Andreas Liveras. The businessman made his fortune in the food industry.
According to Mr Liveras's biography on his company's website, he took as job as a deliveryman at the Fleur De Lys bakery in Kensington when he and his family emigrated from Cyprus to London in 1963.
Five years later, Mr Liveras bought the business; in 1985, he sold the company to Express Dairies in an “eight-figure multi-million pound deal”.
When Fleur De Lys was sold, it had become one of the largest independent manufacturers of frozen cakes in Europe.
Mr Liveras then indulged his passion for yachts and built a successful business in the sector.
Our thoughts and condolences go to his family and friends.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review