Blog: Former Muller executive Carl Ravenhall takes board seat at First Milk
Dean Best | 23 October 2015
First Milk gives Ravenhall board seat
First Milk's bid for recovery has seen the UK dairy co-operative appoint former Muller Wiseman Dairies, Milk Link and Adams Foods executive Carl Ravenhall to its board.
Ravenhall, who has held senior roles at all three UK dairy groups, is the latest notable name to join First Milk as the company looks to the future after a challenging period for the business.
"Carl brings extensive dairy sector experience, particularly around our core businesses of cheese and liquid brokerage," First Milk CEO Mike Gallacher, who left Mars to take the helm at the company in March, said.
Ravenhall, who spent two years at MD at Muller Wiseman before leaving in August, said: "Having spent some time with Mike Gallacher and members of the board and understood the business strategy, it is an exciting time to be joining First Milk."
Earlier this month, First Milk said it had appointed non-executive director Brian Mackie to the position of COO. Mackie's career includes stints at spirits business Maxxium Worldwide and soft drinks group Cott Corporation.
In April, former Associated British Foods, Mars and Unilever executive Kenny Bain joined First Milk as operations director.
The executive changes at First Milk have also included the departure of finance director Gerry Sweeney and chairman Sir Jim Paice in what has been a challenging year for the co-operative.
Paice left in June after First Milk started a "turnaround programme" to revitalise a business that had seen its balance sheet hit by a slump in commodity prices. That month, First Milk had already revealed it would book a loss of GBP22m for the year to the end of March, with Gallacher pointing to the pressure on commodity prices but also "poor operational performance".
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Arla Foods has extended its dairy brand line-up in the UK with the launch of Arla Quark to cater for what the co-op called "the relatively unknown but fastest-growing cheese category in the UK"....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements