Blog: Forming young palates
Catherine Sleep | 13 March 2007
We hear a lot about the general awfulness of school dinners, and when more positive news does emerge, it usually focuses on a certain celebrity chef who uses words like ‘pukka’ and ‘wicked’. But behind Jamie Oliver is a small army of experienced dinner ladies such as Jeanette Orrey, who have been working to improve school meals for years.
Another such shining light is Blodwen Hinton, chef at Oldbury College of Sport, who brings into school lobster that she catches from her family’s boat off the Isle of Anglesey, supplemented by produce bought from the island. I mean, lobster! I was at least 25 before I sampled my first lobster, and I’m sure I’m not unusual in that.
Such stories are symptomatic of a real shift in attitudes – increasingly our kids are having the chance to sample nutritious, fresh and above all exciting fare within the school setting. Of course, you can’t make them eat it, but it’s a giant step forward.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review