Blog: Forming young palates
Catherine Sleep | 13 March 2007
We hear a lot about the general awfulness of school dinners, and when more positive news does emerge, it usually focuses on a certain celebrity chef who uses words like ‘pukka’ and ‘wicked’. But behind Jamie Oliver is a small army of experienced dinner ladies such as Jeanette Orrey, who have been working to improve school meals for years.
Another such shining light is Blodwen Hinton, chef at Oldbury College of Sport, who brings into school lobster that she catches from her family’s boat off the Isle of Anglesey, supplemented by produce bought from the island. I mean, lobster! I was at least 25 before I sampled my first lobster, and I’m sure I’m not unusual in that.
Such stories are symptomatic of a real shift in attitudes – increasingly our kids are having the chance to sample nutritious, fresh and above all exciting fare within the school setting. Of course, you can’t make them eat it, but it’s a giant step forward.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review