Blog: Free food, free food…
Catherine Sleep | 23 August 2004
I recently discovered the most fabulous source of free food, but also a very sad one. Just off a remote footpath deep in the Kentish countryside I came across a small orchard. It is clearly no longer cultivated, and probably hasn’t been for about five years.
A farmer clearly once tended it with loving care, but now it lies abandoned, the trees heavy with rotten fruit. It's yet another victim of the rationalisation of costs that makes it cheaper for retailers to import apples from South Africa than to buy them from the grower down the road. Over the years blackberry bushes have grown up in the hedgerows around the orchard and even mingle with the outermost apple trees, so for an avid fruit picker such as myself it really has proved a bountiful discovery.
But I would have been happier to see a thriving orchard that still looked like a viable business.
To read about somebody else’s far more extreme search for free food, click the link below.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review