Blog: Free food, free food…
Catherine Sleep | 23 August 2004
I recently discovered the most fabulous source of free food, but also a very sad one. Just off a remote footpath deep in the Kentish countryside I came across a small orchard. It is clearly no longer cultivated, and probably hasn’t been for about five years.
A farmer clearly once tended it with loving care, but now it lies abandoned, the trees heavy with rotten fruit. It's yet another victim of the rationalisation of costs that makes it cheaper for retailers to import apples from South Africa than to buy them from the grower down the road. Over the years blackberry bushes have grown up in the hedgerows around the orchard and even mingle with the outermost apple trees, so for an avid fruit picker such as myself it really has proved a bountiful discovery.
But I would have been happier to see a thriving orchard that still looked like a viable business.
To read about somebody else’s far more extreme search for free food, click the link below.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report