Blog: French dairy boss milks independence
Dean Best | 2 April 2008
Some bullish words are emerging from a section of the French milk sector.
The family behind Senoble, the independent dairy firm that makes a swathe of own-label dairy products for French retailers, has taken back full control of the company.
Private equity firm 3i has sold its 25% stake in the business to the Senoble family, which four years ago opened up its capital to generate funds for international expansion.
For the Senoble family and 3i, it’s a case of job done. International sales accounted for just a quarter of Senoble’s turnover in 2004 – now overseas markets generate over half of the firm’s business.
Marc Senoble, the company’s CEO, exuded Gallic confidence in the wake of the deal and insisted his company’s reputation stands up well against larger rivals in the French dairy sector.
“While I can only congratulate myself for having chosen 3i, you are never more credible in the eyes of the major retailing groups than when you are independent,” Senoble said.
But, with the dairy sector going through a wave of consolidation (witness the moves at French co-op Sodiaal and Dutch firms Friesland Foods and Campina), how long will Senoble last on its own?
Especially, let’s not forget, with Danone on its doorstep.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report