Blog: French union boss turns milk row sour
Dean Best | 21 May 2009
Today (21 May) is a public holiday in France to mark Ascension Day, which commemorates the rise of Jesus into heaven.
There remains, however, a stark lack of good will among those working in the French dairy sector, which is again embroiled in a row over price.
After days of protests and blockades up and down the country, the French government has moved quickly to appoint mediators for talks between milk producers and dairies – negotiations that dairy giants like Bongrain and Bel have been quick to support.
Relations between the two sides, however, remain sour. This morning, Jean-Michel Lemétayer appeared on French radio to call for a “day of action” next Monday (25 May) and urged farmers to blockade every dairy in the country.
Lemétayer again attacked the slump in milk prices in France and insisted that, despite farmers facing lower prices, the price of dairy products at retail level remained higher.
France, then, prepares for “une journée blanche lundi” – which also happens to be the day French Agriculture Minister Michel Barnier heads to Brussels to discuss the issue with his EU counterparts.
With dairy farmers across Europe warning that the industry is in jeopardy, the European Milk Board said today (26 May) that an EU concession to protestors – to consider early subsidy payments – is “no...
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report