Blog: French union boss turns milk row sour
Dean Best | 21 May 2009
Today (21 May) is a public holiday in France to mark Ascension Day, which commemorates the rise of Jesus into heaven.
There remains, however, a stark lack of good will among those working in the French dairy sector, which is again embroiled in a row over price.
After days of protests and blockades up and down the country, the French government has moved quickly to appoint mediators for talks between milk producers and dairies – negotiations that dairy giants like Bongrain and Bel have been quick to support.
Relations between the two sides, however, remain sour. This morning, Jean-Michel Lemétayer appeared on French radio to call for a “day of action” next Monday (25 May) and urged farmers to blockade every dairy in the country.
Lemétayer again attacked the slump in milk prices in France and insisted that, despite farmers facing lower prices, the price of dairy products at retail level remained higher.
France, then, prepares for “une journée blanche lundi” – which also happens to be the day French Agriculture Minister Michel Barnier heads to Brussels to discuss the issue with his EU counterparts.
With dairy farmers across Europe warning that the industry is in jeopardy, the European Milk Board said today (26 May) that an EU concession to protestors – to consider early subsidy payments – is “no...
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report