Blog: Fresh & Easy exec hits a bum note
Dean Best | 3 September 2008
What's the connection between rock band Radiohead and Fresh & Easy, Tesco's fledgling US business?
Nope, there is none, unless your name is Simon Uwins, you're the marketing boss at Fresh & Easy and you're basking in the euphoria of seeing the UK alternative music gods at a gig in California.
“I had the privilege last Sunday of seeing Radiohead at the Hollywood Bowl,” Uwins writes in his blog on the Fresh & Easy site. “What an amazing performance! They sounded just as fresh as ever, their recent material every bit as good as before. What really struck me was just how different they are to everybody else. They have familiar elements of a rock band, but they put it all together in new and surprising ways. They're impossible to categorise.”
Most music fans would no doubt agree – but here's where Uwins' gig review takes a strange turn: “In our own small way, that's what customers say about us. We have the quality and interesting selection of a speciality market, but also the brands and convenience of a supermarket. And the prices of a big box retailer..!”
I'm not sure Radiohead lead singer Thom Yorke, that arch-critic of globalisation, would take too kindly to being likened to a multinational retailer, mind...
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review