Blog: From paddling to Paris
Catherine Sleep | 20 June 2006
Well I’m back from my convalescence, and delighted to report I’m back to match fitness. My recuperation was rounded off with a spell of sunshine and sandcastles in Dorset, from where I’m also pleased to report that the good old British bucket & spade holiday is alive and kicking.
Mind you, I did notice that the beach has become a far more active retail arena these days. Long gone are the days when you had to traipse a quarter of a mile to a shabby little hut selling nothing but teas and ices. On the nicest stretch of Weymouth sands you’re always within staggering distance of a food stall. And they sell nothing but healthy options, as you can see in the picture below. Methinks the Food Standards Agency and/or Jamie Oliver may have a new battleground.
Anyway, fresh back in harness and I’m off to Paris at the crack of dawn tomorrow to report on the CIES World Food Business Summit. Kraft CEO Roger Deromedi and Carrefour’s Luc Vandevelde are going to be telling us how tough it is to undergo major strategic changes when you’re a multinational giant, so I’ll have my pencil poised.
A bientôt, mes amis!
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Danone eyes efficiency, agility with new structure
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Danone sales dampened by Europe, China