Blog: Functional foods set to drive growth
Petah Marian | 1 March 2011
With health and wellness becoming an increasingly important factor in the products consumers choose, manufacturers have been quick to jump on the fast-moving functional foods bandwagon.
While the area offers great opportunity, and is set to grow by 3% to 5% year-on-year over the next five years, while essential for consumers, increasing interest from goverments into the validity of these health claims may stymie degree level of growth.
PepsiCo has launched a "global nutrition group" which will aim to deliver innovation accross a number of better-for-you product areas. It is big business for the manufacturer, with the company aiming to boost its nutrition business from aroung US$10bn in 2010 to $30bn by 2010.
Yesterday just-food launched its management briefing on functional foods. The four-part report offers in-depth analysis of the fast-growing channel, outlining the opportunities and issues this sector faces.
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
The Obama administration appears to have conceded the landmark Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal will not be pushed through in the lame-duck session of Congress before Donald Trump is inaugur...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti
- Amnesty - Global brands profit from labour abuses