Blog: Germans make another raid on UK food
Dean Best | 5 December 2012
Intersnack has struck a deal to buy United Biscuits' salty snacks business, securing the third German acquisition of a UK food firm in 2012.
The owner of Pom-Bear crisps will attain a batch of brands that are snack staples in the UK like KP nuts and McCoy's to its portfolio.
The deal, announced today, will also dramatically increase its business in the UK. United Biscuits' salty snacks sales are GBP280m, compared to Intersnack UK revenue of GBP80m.
PepsiCo remains the snack titan in the UK but, along with Kellogg's acquisition of Pringles earlier this year, Intersnack's acquisition of the KP nuts-led business, will give the US giant stiffer competition.
And, intriguingly, Intersnack's swoop for the United Biscuits' business, is the third German takeover of a UK food manufacturer this year.
Two months ago, German group Zertus snapped up similarly-named Zetar, a UK firm that supplies own-label confectionery and snacks, as well as products developed under brands like Guinness and Tango, to UK retailers.
And earlier this year, yoghurt giant Muller acquired UK milk supplier Robert Wiseman Dairies.
At its base level, the takeovers could demonstrate the strength of privately-owned German companies operating with strong cash reserves.
However, Intersnack has indicated it believes the UK market is a good one in which to operate for all the gloom around the economy.
And with the UK Chancellor today promising another cut in corporation tax, the UK's attractiveness as a destination for investors could increase further.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review