Blog: Germans make another raid on UK food
Dean Best | 5 December 2012
Intersnack has struck a deal to buy United Biscuits' salty snacks business, securing the third German acquisition of a UK food firm in 2012.
The owner of Pom-Bear crisps will attain a batch of brands that are snack staples in the UK like KP nuts and McCoy's to its portfolio.
The deal, announced today, will also dramatically increase its business in the UK. United Biscuits' salty snacks sales are GBP280m, compared to Intersnack UK revenue of GBP80m.
PepsiCo remains the snack titan in the UK but, along with Kellogg's acquisition of Pringles earlier this year, Intersnack's acquisition of the KP nuts-led business, will give the US giant stiffer competition.
And, intriguingly, Intersnack's swoop for the United Biscuits' business, is the third German takeover of a UK food manufacturer this year.
Two months ago, German group Zertus snapped up similarly-named Zetar, a UK firm that supplies own-label confectionery and snacks, as well as products developed under brands like Guinness and Tango, to UK retailers.
And earlier this year, yoghurt giant Muller acquired UK milk supplier Robert Wiseman Dairies.
At its base level, the takeovers could demonstrate the strength of privately-owned German companies operating with strong cash reserves.
However, Intersnack has indicated it believes the UK market is a good one in which to operate for all the gloom around the economy.
And with the UK Chancellor today promising another cut in corporation tax, the UK's attractiveness as a destination for investors could increase further.
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
Over the weekend, there were fresh claims Europe-based food retailers Ahold and Delhaize are in discussions to join forces....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details