Blog: Glamorising gluttony
Catherine Sleep | 5 July 2004
"I think he has proven, once again, that he is one of the finest athletes of any sport in the world." Who are we talking about? Roger Federer? Angelos Charisteas? Er, no.
The quote refers to Takeru Kobayashi, world speed-eating champion. His latest feat is to swallow 53 and a half hot dogs, and their accompanying buns, in just 12 minutes. The hot dog competition has been running at New York’s Coney island since 1916 and is a highlight of the annual calendar of the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
Call me a killjoy but perhaps it’s time to call it a day. Glamorising overeating is just soooo last millennium.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review