Blog: Glamorising gluttony
Catherine Sleep | 5 July 2004
"I think he has proven, once again, that he is one of the finest athletes of any sport in the world." Who are we talking about? Roger Federer? Angelos Charisteas? Er, no.
The quote refers to Takeru Kobayashi, world speed-eating champion. His latest feat is to swallow 53 and a half hot dogs, and their accompanying buns, in just 12 minutes. The hot dog competition has been running at New York’s Coney island since 1916 and is a highlight of the annual calendar of the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
Call me a killjoy but perhaps it’s time to call it a day. Glamorising overeating is just soooo last millennium.
Danone completed its US$12.5bn acquisition of WhiteWave Foods this week. The move will roughly double Danone's presence in North America, where WhiteWave is a top four dairy player. ...
Premier Foods plc revealed today (28 March) it has secured a deal with its pension scheme trustees that will see the UK food maker reduce its pension burden....
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Interview: KP Snacks on growth strategy
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- TreeHouse Foods sells soup, baby food units