Blog: Glamorising gluttony
Catherine Sleep | 5 July 2004
"I think he has proven, once again, that he is one of the finest athletes of any sport in the world." Who are we talking about? Roger Federer? Angelos Charisteas? Er, no.
The quote refers to Takeru Kobayashi, world speed-eating champion. His latest feat is to swallow 53 and a half hot dogs, and their accompanying buns, in just 12 minutes. The hot dog competition has been running at New York’s Coney island since 1916 and is a highlight of the annual calendar of the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
Call me a killjoy but perhaps it’s time to call it a day. Glamorising overeating is just soooo last millennium.
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea