Blog: Glamorising gluttony
Catherine Sleep | 5 July 2004
"I think he has proven, once again, that he is one of the finest athletes of any sport in the world." Who are we talking about? Roger Federer? Angelos Charisteas? Er, no.
The quote refers to Takeru Kobayashi, world speed-eating champion. His latest feat is to swallow 53 and a half hot dogs, and their accompanying buns, in just 12 minutes. The hot dog competition has been running at New York’s Coney island since 1916 and is a highlight of the annual calendar of the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
Call me a killjoy but perhaps it’s time to call it a day. Glamorising overeating is just soooo last millennium.
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group