Blog: Go easy on Fresh & Easy
Dean Best | 28 February 2008
I’m British therefore I must dislike Tesco. That’s how it feels sometimes, judging from the brickbats thrown at the retailer here.
The company came under fire yesterday after allegations that it uses the Cayman Islands to avoid paying tax on property deals.
The financial press here also picked up on a broker’s report in the US, which warned that Tesco’s fledgling Fresh & Easy business is on-track to miss its financial targets.
Tesco told us they viewed the reports on Fresh & Easy as “scaremongering” and that it would be better to give the stores more time before coming to a conclusion on their performance.
I’m inclined to agree. The business has been up and running for just four months and, like every other new business, is facing teething problems.
Retail analysts in the UK have greeted Tesco’s US venture with enthusiasm, while, most tellingly, the launch of Fresh & Easy has stirred Wal-Mart into action.
The US retail scene has been a graveyard for UK retailers in the past but let’s give Tesco more time before writing Fresh & Easy’s obituary.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report