Blog: Green & black and blue all over…
Catherine Sleep | 18 January 2006
Craig Sams and Josephine Fairley, the hippest couple in the UK food industry, have been awarded honorary doctorates by Kingston University. This is a fine reward for a husband and wife team whose pioneering business methods in their chocolate company, Green & Black’s, helped establish the international fair trade movement.
Each of them picked up an honorary doctorate in business administration in recognition of their achievement in supporting and improving the livelihoods of cocoa farmers in developing countries. Where Green & Black’s has led, others have been forced to follow, and many confectionery multinationals source their raw ingredients in a more ethical manner because of them.
I couldn’t help being a little bit sad when they sold the company to Cadbury Schweppes last May though, it was Ben & Jerry’s and Unilever all over again. Still, the sale has given Sams and Fairley more time to concentrate on other business ventures, which include running an organic bakery and deli in their hometown in Hastings, East Sussex. Must get down there sometime.
Anyway, here they are in their degree-ceremony glad rags. Look a bit sheepish, don’t they?
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities