Blog: Green & black and blue all over…
Catherine Sleep | 18 January 2006
Craig Sams and Josephine Fairley, the hippest couple in the UK food industry, have been awarded honorary doctorates by Kingston University. This is a fine reward for a husband and wife team whose pioneering business methods in their chocolate company, Green & Black’s, helped establish the international fair trade movement.
Each of them picked up an honorary doctorate in business administration in recognition of their achievement in supporting and improving the livelihoods of cocoa farmers in developing countries. Where Green & Black’s has led, others have been forced to follow, and many confectionery multinationals source their raw ingredients in a more ethical manner because of them.
I couldn’t help being a little bit sad when they sold the company to Cadbury Schweppes last May though, it was Ben & Jerry’s and Unilever all over again. Still, the sale has given Sams and Fairley more time to concentrate on other business ventures, which include running an organic bakery and deli in their hometown in Hastings, East Sussex. Must get down there sometime.
Anyway, here they are in their degree-ceremony glad rags. Look a bit sheepish, don’t they?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review