Blog: Greggs’ balancing act
Catherine Sleep | 14 March 2006
They say you can’t please all of the people all of the time, but snack and sandwich maker Greggs is having a bash. How to convince health conscious customers to come to Greggs without alienating the chain’s core pasty and pie buyers?
Managing director Sir Michael Darrington offers industry onlookers a delicately worded masterclass: “Our products are really fresh and very wholesome and that to me is healthy," he begins.
So far, so straightforward. But then comes the masterstroke. Darrington goes on to concede that he’s not averse to a sausage roll or two. "My wife occasionally complains about my waistline, but it's not that bad".
Something for everyone, and all of it acceptable. McDonald’s could take a trick out of his book.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report