Blog: 'Group buying' websites and food - an emerging online market
Dean Best | 2 September 2011
'Group buying' has become an Internet phenomenon, with the likes of the Groupon and LivingSocial websites popular destinations for cash-strapped consumers looking for discounts on a range of services. Now, in North America, food-specific sites are being launched.
In just-food's latest Talking tech column, MJ Deschamps reports from Ottawa on Canada-based online grocery business Foodscrooge that, upon its launch in March, became the first company in North America to use group buying to allow consumers to buy high-value food items in bulk at a steep discount. Foodscrooge works with independent retailers to help consumers obtain the products they have purchased through the site.
And, last month, grocery group buying website Aisle50 was launched south of the border in the US. Aisle50 works with supermarket chain Lowe's Food Stores to offer deals through the retailer's loyalty card.
The popularity of group buying deserves the food industry's attention. Some retailers, including Whole Foods Market in the US and Ocado in the UK, are already teaming up with Groupon to offer consumers deals. But what could the impact be on the retailers' margins?
Will other food-specific sites follow in the footsteps of Foodscrooge and Aisle50? Despite the possible impact on margins, could retailers decide to team up with new, food-specific sites - as Lowe's has with Aisle50 - to drive shoppers to their stores?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review