Blog: 'Group buying' websites and food - an emerging online market
Dean Best | 2 September 2011
'Group buying' has become an Internet phenomenon, with the likes of the Groupon and LivingSocial websites popular destinations for cash-strapped consumers looking for discounts on a range of services. Now, in North America, food-specific sites are being launched.
In just-food's latest Talking tech column, MJ Deschamps reports from Ottawa on Canada-based online grocery business Foodscrooge that, upon its launch in March, became the first company in North America to use group buying to allow consumers to buy high-value food items in bulk at a steep discount. Foodscrooge works with independent retailers to help consumers obtain the products they have purchased through the site.
And, last month, grocery group buying website Aisle50 was launched south of the border in the US. Aisle50 works with supermarket chain Lowe's Food Stores to offer deals through the retailer's loyalty card.
The popularity of group buying deserves the food industry's attention. Some retailers, including Whole Foods Market in the US and Ocado in the UK, are already teaming up with Groupon to offer consumers deals. But what could the impact be on the retailers' margins?
Will other food-specific sites follow in the footsteps of Foodscrooge and Aisle50? Despite the possible impact on margins, could retailers decide to team up with new, food-specific sites - as Lowe's has with Aisle50 - to drive shoppers to their stores?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities