Blog: Grown-up Gu
Dean Best | 25 November 2010
It's been ten months since upmarket UK dessert business Gu was sold to Noble Foods, the country's largest egg producer. And, according to founder James Averdieck, who has remained with the business, under the new owners, Gu has grown up.
Set up in 2003, Gu steadily built a presence in the UK and has also branched out into nearby Ireland and France.
Now, with Averdieck focusing on the company's further development overseas, Gu is embarking on a series of international forays into Germany, Australia and New Zealand.
In this month's just the answer, Averdieck told just-food that his task, under Noble's ownership, was to lead Gu's international growth.
"My interest has always been in new markets, starting new things, and so on. So in that sense I'm playing to my strengths," Averdieck said.
"When the acquisition was made, [Noble] appointed an MD and they brought in a new finance director. So the company has grown up, and this is what happens, and it's totally appropriate and good for the business. I'm in a role that I'm happy with."
You could read more of our interview with Gu by clicking here.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review