Blog: Grown-up Gu
Dean Best | 25 November 2010
It's been ten months since upmarket UK dessert business Gu was sold to Noble Foods, the country's largest egg producer. And, according to founder James Averdieck, who has remained with the business, under the new owners, Gu has grown up.
Set up in 2003, Gu steadily built a presence in the UK and has also branched out into nearby Ireland and France.
Now, with Averdieck focusing on the company's further development overseas, Gu is embarking on a series of international forays into Germany, Australia and New Zealand.
In this month's just the answer, Averdieck told just-food that his task, under Noble's ownership, was to lead Gu's international growth.
"My interest has always been in new markets, starting new things, and so on. So in that sense I'm playing to my strengths," Averdieck said.
"When the acquisition was made, [Noble] appointed an MD and they brought in a new finance director. So the company has grown up, and this is what happens, and it's totally appropriate and good for the business. I'm in a role that I'm happy with."
You could read more of our interview with Gu by clicking here.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report