Blog: Gutsy radish
Catherine Sleep | 14 March 2006
Out with bullet trains, teahouses and kimonos: the Japanese have a new national icon. It’s kind of low-tech too.
A humble daikon radish that pushed its way through an asphalt pavement has become a symbol of the real meaning of perseverance, a trait highly valued in more traditional Japanese circles.
The radish has become a media star, prompting a rash of copycat root vegetables, and developed into one of these seemingly random incidents that capture the public imagination in an unanticipated way. It quite puts me in mind of the Tamworth Two, a pair of pigs which escaped on their way to the abattoir in 1998 and after much public excitement were saved from becoming pork chops and allowed to live out their days in an animal sanctuary.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities