Blog: Hain Celestial highlights Earth's Best GMO-free status
Katy Askew | 2 June 2015
News that Abbott Laboratories launched a GMO-free version of its Similac infant formula caused quite a stir in the US over the past week. Not to be overlooked, Hain Celestial was quick to point out it too offers an infant formula that is GMO-free under its Earth's Best Organic brand.
Category manager Robyn Mermelstein stressed: "Our complete line of formulas has never contained genetically modified organisms and always has been certified USDA organic."
The furore around Abbott's move must be frustrating for Hain Celestial. The company has offered an infant formula that is free from GMOs – a massively hot topic in the US – for years. It has a range that, with four options, is more comprehensive than Abbott's new launch.
However, Abbott's move is the first time a mainstream (as Abbott termed it "leading") manufacturer has responded to the ground swell of opinion against GMOs. It is also worth noting Abbott's offering is not organic – highlighting once again lingering consumer confusion over the benefits of organic versus conventional foods.
While demand for organic is growing in the US market, GMO-free is a topic US consumers can get their heads around. And when it is offered by a legacy brand manufacturer, Abbott's move demonstrates the ongoing demand for – and trust in – established brands.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review