Blog: Hain Celestial highlights Earth's Best GMO-free status
Katy Askew | 2 June 2015
News that Abbott Laboratories launched a GMO-free version of its Similac infant formula caused quite a stir in the US over the past week. Not to be overlooked, Hain Celestial was quick to point out it too offers an infant formula that is GMO-free under its Earth's Best Organic brand.
Category manager Robyn Mermelstein stressed: "Our complete line of formulas has never contained genetically modified organisms and always has been certified USDA organic."
The furore around Abbott's move must be frustrating for Hain Celestial. The company has offered an infant formula that is free from GMOs – a massively hot topic in the US – for years. It has a range that, with four options, is more comprehensive than Abbott's new launch.
However, Abbott's move is the first time a mainstream (as Abbott termed it "leading") manufacturer has responded to the ground swell of opinion against GMOs. It is also worth noting Abbott's offering is not organic – highlighting once again lingering consumer confusion over the benefits of organic versus conventional foods.
While demand for organic is growing in the US market, GMO-free is a topic US consumers can get their heads around. And when it is offered by a legacy brand manufacturer, Abbott's move demonstrates the ongoing demand for – and trust in – established brands.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020