Blog: Hair today, gone tomorrow
Catherine Sleep | 16 February 2006
I’ve just had one of those “What the….?” moments. The owner of a Romanian bakery has asked his 60 employees to shave their heads to "better resemble the bread they bake". And what’s more, they did it.
The food industry engages in debate over workplace dress codes from time to time with issues of civil liberty and self-expression going head to head with the benefits of uniformity and corporate identity. This edict takes the issue to a whole new level.
Boss Vasilie Presecan did at least lead from the front, as he was the first to pick up the razor. He also had to resort to a small financial incentive of US$140 to get buy-in from his workforce, not least the women. Had I been on his staff it would have taken a rather more substantial bung – we’re talking several years’ salary, or about as long as it would take to get my mane back.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target