Blog: Hair today, gone tomorrow
Catherine Sleep | 16 February 2006
I’ve just had one of those “What the….?” moments. The owner of a Romanian bakery has asked his 60 employees to shave their heads to "better resemble the bread they bake". And what’s more, they did it.
The food industry engages in debate over workplace dress codes from time to time with issues of civil liberty and self-expression going head to head with the benefits of uniformity and corporate identity. This edict takes the issue to a whole new level.
Boss Vasilie Presecan did at least lead from the front, as he was the first to pick up the razor. He also had to resort to a small financial incentive of US$140 to get buy-in from his workforce, not least the women. Had I been on his staff it would have taken a rather more substantial bung – we’re talking several years’ salary, or about as long as it would take to get my mane back.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review