Blog: Hair today, gone tomorrow
Catherine Sleep | 16 February 2006
I’ve just had one of those “What the….?” moments. The owner of a Romanian bakery has asked his 60 employees to shave their heads to "better resemble the bread they bake". And what’s more, they did it.
The food industry engages in debate over workplace dress codes from time to time with issues of civil liberty and self-expression going head to head with the benefits of uniformity and corporate identity. This edict takes the issue to a whole new level.
Boss Vasilie Presecan did at least lead from the front, as he was the first to pick up the razor. He also had to resort to a small financial incentive of US$140 to get buy-in from his workforce, not least the women. Had I been on his staff it would have taken a rather more substantial bung – we’re talking several years’ salary, or about as long as it would take to get my mane back.
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group