Blog: Hair today, gone tomorrow
Catherine Sleep | 16 February 2006
I’ve just had one of those “What the….?” moments. The owner of a Romanian bakery has asked his 60 employees to shave their heads to "better resemble the bread they bake". And what’s more, they did it.
The food industry engages in debate over workplace dress codes from time to time with issues of civil liberty and self-expression going head to head with the benefits of uniformity and corporate identity. This edict takes the issue to a whole new level.
Boss Vasilie Presecan did at least lead from the front, as he was the first to pick up the razor. He also had to resort to a small financial incentive of US$140 to get buy-in from his workforce, not least the women. Had I been on his staff it would have taken a rather more substantial bung – we’re talking several years’ salary, or about as long as it would take to get my mane back.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020