Blog: Happy New Year
Catherine Sleep | 6 January 2004
The year hasn’t got off to a great start for Parmalat, has it? Yes, that was an example of British understatement. Already dubbed Europe’s Enron, the Italian behemoth looks set for a shareholder revolt following revelations about accounting malpractice. Meanwhile in the US the menace that is BSE hangs heavy over the cattle market.
In the UK 2004 has kicked off with renewed chat about childhood obesity and whose fault it is. More of the same then. These and other topics are covered in the January management briefing, which we expect to publish tomorrow. Penned by my own fair hand and titled “Hot potatoes the food industry must handle in 2004,” the briefing looks at controversial issues as diverse as irradiation, trans fats, biotechnology, the rise and rise of consumer advocacy groups and the erosion of fish stocks, among others. I hope you’ll find it a good read as we all brace ourselves for another year doubtless full of contentious issues and a good few surprises along the way.
Happy New Year to you all, and may you stay healthy, contented and prosperous throughout.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020