Blog: Healthy demand for Sprouts as speciality US grocer makes debut
Dean Best | 2 August 2013
Sprouts Farmers Market's debut on the US stock market demonstrated demand among investors for companies in the health and wellness and natural categories shows no sign of abating.
Shares in Sprouts, which has over 160 stores in eight US states, jumped to more than double their listing price in their first day of trading yesterday (1 August). The stock closed at US$40.11, up sharply from the IPO price of $18 a share.
Sprouts' shares have eased back a touch today, standing at $39.35 at 12:21 ET. However, the early success of the listing indicates the market's appetite for companies seeking to meet US demand of natural and organic food.
Fairway Group Holdings, the owner of New York-based Fairway Market, listed in April and its shares are 45% higher than on debut.
Whole Foods Market is the big beast in the category and, although its shares dipped this week amid concerns about slowing sales, its stock is up almost 20% so far this year.
Keep your eye on our pages next week for a look at the sector.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report