Blog: Healthy demand for Sprouts as speciality US grocer makes debut
Dean Best | 2 August 2013
Sprouts Farmers Market's debut on the US stock market demonstrated demand among investors for companies in the health and wellness and natural categories shows no sign of abating.
Shares in Sprouts, which has over 160 stores in eight US states, jumped to more than double their listing price in their first day of trading yesterday (1 August). The stock closed at US$40.11, up sharply from the IPO price of $18 a share.
Sprouts' shares have eased back a touch today, standing at $39.35 at 12:21 ET. However, the early success of the listing indicates the market's appetite for companies seeking to meet US demand of natural and organic food.
Fairway Group Holdings, the owner of New York-based Fairway Market, listed in April and its shares are 45% higher than on debut.
Whole Foods Market is the big beast in the category and, although its shares dipped this week amid concerns about slowing sales, its stock is up almost 20% so far this year.
Keep your eye on our pages next week for a look at the sector.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Aquatic Foods Group, the China-based seafood processor, today (28 September) reported a drop in half-year profits on the back of lower sales and rising costs....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report