Blog: Hershey and Cadbury - a shared heritage?
Dean Best | 11 October 2007
Nearly all in the investment community see the business rationale for Cadbury and Hershey to merge – but there are also striking similarities in the origins and heritage of the two confectioners.
As Ben Cooper notes in our Hot Topic today (11 October), Cadbury was founded by a nineteenth century Quaker philanthropist with enlightened views about social welfare, and in particular the welfare of his workers. Like Milton Hershey, the founder of the US candy giant, John Cadbury wanted his business to embody that spirit.
Of course, one must not over-egg the link between the foundations of the two companies and the way they are run today. (Employees who have recently lost their jobs at Cadbury and Hershey might have something to say about that).
However, it’s a point worth making and it may just persuade the Hershey Trust – so far adamant that it wants to keep control – to team up with a company of similar heritage.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report