Blog: Hershey goes back to school
Dean Best | 12 January 2011
Hershey, the US confectioner, is to join forces with a US university in a bid to gain more insight about what consumers want from their candy.
The Reese's maker is to give Harrisburg University in Pennsylvania US$90,000 to help set up a "sensory science and consumer research laboratory" on campus.
The university will conduct tests on a range of confectionery, including some Hershey products, and the company says the insight gained there could guide its NPD.
"A significant benefit of this programme is having access to a broader range and diversity of consumer opinions about products and potential products," Hershey's Jeff Beckman tells just-food.
"We already have professional sensory panels and employee panels that are providing us with a constant stream of feedback on our products and product-development efforts. The new sensory lab at Harrisburg University will give us the benefit of additional data and a greater diversity of consumer input as we develop and refine new products."
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review