Blog: Hershey goes back to school
Dean Best | 12 January 2011
Hershey, the US confectioner, is to join forces with a US university in a bid to gain more insight about what consumers want from their candy.
The Reese's maker is to give Harrisburg University in Pennsylvania US$90,000 to help set up a "sensory science and consumer research laboratory" on campus.
The university will conduct tests on a range of confectionery, including some Hershey products, and the company says the insight gained there could guide its NPD.
"A significant benefit of this programme is having access to a broader range and diversity of consumer opinions about products and potential products," Hershey's Jeff Beckman tells just-food.
"We already have professional sensory panels and employee panels that are providing us with a constant stream of feedback on our products and product-development efforts. The new sensory lab at Harrisburg University will give us the benefit of additional data and a greater diversity of consumer input as we develop and refine new products."
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report