Blog: Hershey wakes up and smells the coffee
Dean Best | 5 March 2008
Hershey has taken what it hopes will be another small step on the road to recovery in the US.
The company’s tie-up with Starbucks is a bid to gain a greater presence at the end of the market where US chocolate sales are booming – premium, upmarket chocs.
Industry watchers have forecast that it is at the high end of the US chocolate market where the growth is going to be in the years ahead – but it has also been an unfamiliar category to Hershey in recent years.
The company has been left behind as the likes of Mars and Lindt have launched a series of products to cater for growing demand for posh chocolate among Americans.
Under new CEO Dave West, Hershey is taking steps to rectify the situation and an alliance with a ubiquitous brand like Starbucks is a wise move.
However, there will be no let up in the competition, with Cadbury Schweppes set to launch its organic chocolate Green & Black’s in the US this year.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review