Blog: Holy war on the Golden Arches
Catherine Sleep | 10 January 2006
Staying with Italian fastfood, an Italian baker who did the unthinkable and put a McDonald’s branch out of business has become a hero of the Slow Food movement.
Luigi Digesù (meaning “of Jesus”) took up a site adjacent to a McDonald’s outlet in Altamura five years ago. His bread and pizza products proved so popular that customers flooded into his store, ignoring its globally famous neighbour, which was eventually forced to shut up shop.
Sniffing success, DeGesu has hired an assistant, thus doubling the size of his workforce. There is even talk of a second store.
So it’s early days, but as the saying goes, “Tall oaks from little acorns grow”.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities