Blog: Homemade versus Home-cooked
Catherine Sleep | 17 October 2006
Over some pub grub yesterday lunchtime a colleague made me aware of a legal difference she believes exists between the terms ‘homemade’ and ‘home-cooked’. The former must, she believes, be prepared from scratch on a restaurant premises, while the latter needs simply be heated up after being offloaded off the catering service’s truck.
Somehow the distinction has passed me by, but it rings true. Does anyone know if it has legal standing? Answers to the usual place, please.
Another term with which I’m unfamiliar is equitrade, short for equitable trading. It’s similar to fairtrade, but means that a greater proportion of the ‘added value’ of a product is generated in the source country, for example by a whole chocolate bar being manufactured in a developing country, rather than the raw cocoa being exported and the rest of the work being done elsewhere.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities