Blog: Homespun economy measures
Catherine Sleep | 23 March 2004
A Scottish High School has gone to extraordinary lengths to help its pupils keep the weight off – and raise much needed cash for school funds at the same time.
Dalziel High School is producing its own potato crisps for pupils to buy. They are organic and low in fat and salt. Headmaster Brian Miller admitted that, yes, in an ideal world pupils would eat apples instead, but the reality is that they want crisps. This way the staff can make sure the crisps to which the pupils have most ready access are as healthy as possible.
One assumes the initiative also helps boost the school’s coffers. One of the things I like about this story is that the school isn’t a richly endowed private school, but a comprehensive (an all-ability, non-fee-paying state school, for our non-UK readers). Well done to the teachers and parents for dreaming up and implementing such an imaginative project.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report