Blog: Hostess gets set for first auction
Michelle Russell | 28 February 2013
As the industry geared up to find out today (28 February) whether Flowers Foods' bid to acquire the Hostess Brands bread business is successful, we learn that the only auction to now take place will be for the Beefsteak brand.
Flowers was today due to take part in an auction to buy Wonder Bread and some other brands owned by Hostess for US$360m. However, after no other bidder stepped in to make a competing offer, it seems the brands will go to Flowers, pending approval from a US bankruptcy court, the Wall Street Journal reported.
There will, however, be an auction for the Beefsteak brand, according to the publication. Mexican bakery giant Grupo Bimbo made an opening bid of US$31.9m for the brand to ensure its participation in today's auction. Bimbo bid $1m more for the Beefsteak brand, though its bid includes a $900,000 breakup fee.
Flowers Foods earlier agreed to serve as the stalking horse for various brands including Wonder Bread, setting a floor price of $30m in a deal that was approved by the bankruptcy court and meant to drum up enthusiasm for the assets.
Hostess is expected to run two more auctions next month. One for its snack cake brands, including Twinkies and Dolly Madison, for which private equity firms Apollo Global Management and C. Dean Metropoulos & Co set the bidding at $410m.
The third auction would be for its Drake's cake business and additional bread brands. To date, McKee Foods has offered $27.5m for the brand, which includes Ring Dings, Yodels and Devil Dogs.
Keep an eye on just-food for any updates on the auction.
The takeover battle for Family Dollar Stores has taken another twist, with the US retailer rejecting a takeover bid from rival Dollar General and in-the-spotlight CEO Howard Levine citing anti-trust c...
Hain Celestial founder, president and CEO Irwin Simon is not one to maintain a stony face when discussing his company's performance. This morning's (20 August) conference call was no exception....
Dollar General has moved to derail Dollar Tree's proposed acquisition of Family Dollar Stores by trumping the US$9.2bn offer already on the table with a competing $9.7bn bid....
The UK government has insisted there was no moves to block the review of the UK food supply chain and said it will published "shortly"....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide