Blog: Hostess gets set for first auction
Michelle Russell | 28 February 2013
As the industry geared up to find out today (28 February) whether Flowers Foods' bid to acquire the Hostess Brands bread business is successful, we learn that the only auction to now take place will be for the Beefsteak brand.
Flowers was today due to take part in an auction to buy Wonder Bread and some other brands owned by Hostess for US$360m. However, after no other bidder stepped in to make a competing offer, it seems the brands will go to Flowers, pending approval from a US bankruptcy court, the Wall Street Journal reported.
There will, however, be an auction for the Beefsteak brand, according to the publication. Mexican bakery giant Grupo Bimbo made an opening bid of US$31.9m for the brand to ensure its participation in today's auction. Bimbo bid $1m more for the Beefsteak brand, though its bid includes a $900,000 breakup fee.
Flowers Foods earlier agreed to serve as the stalking horse for various brands including Wonder Bread, setting a floor price of $30m in a deal that was approved by the bankruptcy court and meant to drum up enthusiasm for the assets.
Hostess is expected to run two more auctions next month. One for its snack cake brands, including Twinkies and Dolly Madison, for which private equity firms Apollo Global Management and C. Dean Metropoulos & Co set the bidding at $410m.
The third auction would be for its Drake's cake business and additional bread brands. To date, McKee Foods has offered $27.5m for the brand, which includes Ring Dings, Yodels and Devil Dogs.
Keep an eye on just-food for any updates on the auction.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019