Blog: Hostess gets set for first auction
Michelle Russell | 28 February 2013
As the industry geared up to find out today (28 February) whether Flowers Foods' bid to acquire the Hostess Brands bread business is successful, we learn that the only auction to now take place will be for the Beefsteak brand.
Flowers was today due to take part in an auction to buy Wonder Bread and some other brands owned by Hostess for US$360m. However, after no other bidder stepped in to make a competing offer, it seems the brands will go to Flowers, pending approval from a US bankruptcy court, the Wall Street Journal reported.
There will, however, be an auction for the Beefsteak brand, according to the publication. Mexican bakery giant Grupo Bimbo made an opening bid of US$31.9m for the brand to ensure its participation in today's auction. Bimbo bid $1m more for the Beefsteak brand, though its bid includes a $900,000 breakup fee.
Flowers Foods earlier agreed to serve as the stalking horse for various brands including Wonder Bread, setting a floor price of $30m in a deal that was approved by the bankruptcy court and meant to drum up enthusiasm for the assets.
Hostess is expected to run two more auctions next month. One for its snack cake brands, including Twinkies and Dolly Madison, for which private equity firms Apollo Global Management and C. Dean Metropoulos & Co set the bidding at $410m.
The third auction would be for its Drake's cake business and additional bread brands. To date, McKee Foods has offered $27.5m for the brand, which includes Ring Dings, Yodels and Devil Dogs.
Keep an eye on just-food for any updates on the auction.
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022