Blog: Hovis turns to flavour to lure UK consumers
Dean Best | 22 April 2014
UK bread maker Hovis is rolling out flavoured loaves to capture consumer attention in a fiercely competitive category.
The company has developed a three-strong Hovis Taste Sensations line and argues UK consumers are "on the lookout" for new products in one of the most heavily-shopped categories in the grocery store.
Hovis, set to be controlled by Gores Group after the US private-equity firm and former owner Premier Foods set up a venture earlier this year, said it had an eye on lunch.
"Lunchtime is a key opportunity for us, especially as sandwiches remain the number one favourite lunchtime option in the UK," Tim Dummer, head of customer marketing, said.
Dummer also admitted UK retailers wanted more NPD from suppliers." Innovation is rising in importance for retailers, with 45% identifying genuine NPD as a key focus, up from 24% in 2012, reflecting their desire to meet consumer demand for new products that will drive sales."
The launch of breads flavoured with sundried tomato, basil and pesto and sweet red pepper is likely to attract consumer interest and the non-white segments of the sector are in robust health.
Nonetheless, sliced white is still the most popular segment of packaged bread sales in the UK. And rival Associated British Foods has sought to grab consumer attention in that part of the fixture with its recent launch of Kingsmill Great White, which it says it is a healthier alternative to standard white bread.
Moreover, packaged sliced bread is under pressure in the UK - should bread makers like Hovis be instead putting more resource into products like pittas, wraps and bagels?
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
Saudi Arabian food company Almarai has announced a healthy set of third-quarter results, with net income up by over 10% and a sales increase of nearly 8%....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis