Blog: How can Europe's FMCG industry tough out the downturn?
Dean Best | 17 October 2012
Executives from General Mills, Tate & Lyle, French retailer Auchan, plus drinks giants Diageo and Heineken, head to Brussels today (17 October) for an industry conference to discuss ways Europe's food and drink sectors can ride out the very challenging economic conditions on the Continent. And just-food will bring you the latest news and views from the event.
The two-day summit, organised by industry association FoodDrinkEurope, is entitled "Feeding the recovery", an optimistic-sounding moniker for a conference held against a gloomy economic backdrop in the region.
Nevertheless, the event promises to discuss how Europe can move to a "sustainable economic recovery", even if some may see that as a faint prospect right now.
Speakers will look at how access to finance can be made easier, with a focus on the needs of the small and medium-sized enterprises in Europe's food and drink sectors.
Regulation will also be a key theme. The EU's new rules on food information will soon be in force, which will have a wide impact, particularly on how food is labelled.
The conference will look at how dietary habits in Europe have changed and how the industry has reacted to this.
As well as representatives from industry, the event will also feature a keynote speech from EU Agriculture Commissioner Dacian Ciolos, a man in one of the more scrutinised post in the region.
And keep your eye on our news pages over the next two days for more in-depth coverage.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review