Blog: How can Europe's FMCG industry tough out the downturn?
Dean Best | 17 October 2012
Executives from General Mills, Tate & Lyle, French retailer Auchan, plus drinks giants Diageo and Heineken, head to Brussels today (17 October) for an industry conference to discuss ways Europe's food and drink sectors can ride out the very challenging economic conditions on the Continent. And just-food will bring you the latest news and views from the event.
The two-day summit, organised by industry association FoodDrinkEurope, is entitled "Feeding the recovery", an optimistic-sounding moniker for a conference held against a gloomy economic backdrop in the region.
Nevertheless, the event promises to discuss how Europe can move to a "sustainable economic recovery", even if some may see that as a faint prospect right now.
Speakers will look at how access to finance can be made easier, with a focus on the needs of the small and medium-sized enterprises in Europe's food and drink sectors.
Regulation will also be a key theme. The EU's new rules on food information will soon be in force, which will have a wide impact, particularly on how food is labelled.
The conference will look at how dietary habits in Europe have changed and how the industry has reacted to this.
As well as representatives from industry, the event will also feature a keynote speech from EU Agriculture Commissioner Dacian Ciolos, a man in one of the more scrutinised post in the region.
And keep your eye on our news pages over the next two days for more in-depth coverage.
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report