Blog: How can Europe's FMCG industry tough out the downturn?
Dean Best | 17 October 2012
Executives from General Mills, Tate & Lyle, French retailer Auchan, plus drinks giants Diageo and Heineken, head to Brussels today (17 October) for an industry conference to discuss ways Europe's food and drink sectors can ride out the very challenging economic conditions on the Continent. And just-food will bring you the latest news and views from the event.
The two-day summit, organised by industry association FoodDrinkEurope, is entitled "Feeding the recovery", an optimistic-sounding moniker for a conference held against a gloomy economic backdrop in the region.
Nevertheless, the event promises to discuss how Europe can move to a "sustainable economic recovery", even if some may see that as a faint prospect right now.
Speakers will look at how access to finance can be made easier, with a focus on the needs of the small and medium-sized enterprises in Europe's food and drink sectors.
Regulation will also be a key theme. The EU's new rules on food information will soon be in force, which will have a wide impact, particularly on how food is labelled.
The conference will look at how dietary habits in Europe have changed and how the industry has reacted to this.
As well as representatives from industry, the event will also feature a keynote speech from EU Agriculture Commissioner Dacian Ciolos, a man in one of the more scrutinised post in the region.
And keep your eye on our news pages over the next two days for more in-depth coverage.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report