Blog: How does it feel to work at Asda?
Catherine Sleep | 12 July 2005
I don’t know. I’ve never worked there. But the overwhelming impression I get from everybody I’ve ever spoken to who is working or has worked at Asda is that people like working there. Tales of shop floor workers who’ve been there for 25 years abound and there’s a distinct impression that they feel valued. Maybe there is something to Asda’s habit of referring to its employees as ‘colleagues’.
I realise it’s airing a prejudice as I live a very long way from the nearest Wal-Mart and I don’t know anyone who has ever worked there, but I do get the impression that it’s an area in which Asda has got its parent beaten.
The news last week that 1,000 colleagues weren’t wanted must have depressed normally cheery Asda staff. Maybe today’s announcement of 2,250 new jobs will make those who didn’t lose their jobs last week feel better.
News Editor, just-food.com
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Hochdorf expands in Africa with Pharmalys buy
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review