Blog: How does it feel to work at Asda?
Catherine Sleep | 12 July 2005
I don’t know. I’ve never worked there. But the overwhelming impression I get from everybody I’ve ever spoken to who is working or has worked at Asda is that people like working there. Tales of shop floor workers who’ve been there for 25 years abound and there’s a distinct impression that they feel valued. Maybe there is something to Asda’s habit of referring to its employees as ‘colleagues’.
I realise it’s airing a prejudice as I live a very long way from the nearest Wal-Mart and I don’t know anyone who has ever worked there, but I do get the impression that it’s an area in which Asda has got its parent beaten.
The news last week that 1,000 colleagues weren’t wanted must have depressed normally cheery Asda staff. Maybe today’s announcement of 2,250 new jobs will make those who didn’t lose their jobs last week feel better.
News Editor, just-food.com
Danone completed its US$12.5bn acquisition of WhiteWave Foods this week. The move will roughly double Danone's presence in North America, where WhiteWave is a top four dairy player. ...
Premier Foods plc revealed today (28 March) it has secured a deal with its pension scheme trustees that will see the UK food maker reduce its pension burden....
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Interview: "Disruptive" snack brand Hippeas
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- Icelandic to sell Saucy Fish Co. owner Seachill
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark