Blog: How food safety is focusing minds of US consumers
Dean Best | 11 June 2008
The salmonella scare sweeping through the US tomato sector could not have come at a more inopportune time.
The outbreak comes as a study from Deloitte shows that US consumers are becoming more wary over the safety of their food – and more willing to boycott products subject to recall.
According to Deloitte, over three-quarters of US consumers are now "more concerned" about the foods they eat than five years ago.
What’s more, over half of shoppers in the US admit to shunning a particular food - albeit temporarily - if the product had been recalled on safety grounds.
News of these trends come as tomato growers in Florida – a state that has been largely cleared of any link to the salmonella outbreak – say the scare is nonetheless already affecting its crop.
The FDA, which is looking for more government funding to spend on food safety control and investigation, will have a busy few days on its hands.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities