Blog: How healthy will the future be for Wessanen?
Dean Best | 25 February 2010
The focus was on the future at So Good and Kallo maker Wessanen in Amsterdam today (25 February).
The Dutch food group's recent travails are well documented and, after posting losses of EUR220m for 2009, the company's management was keen to outline the business' ambitions.
The downturn may have hit sales of organic food in markets across Europe but Wessanen believes there is long-term potential in the category.
CEO Frans Koffrie also talked up the company's plans for investment behind its brands, as well as the prospect of bolt-on acquisitions.
The market, however, seemed less than impressed, with Wessanen's shares plunging by more than 13% today.
The hit to the share price may have been due to Wessanen's hints that it may need to restructure its balance sheet and with a share issue a possible option.
However, Wessanen's plans to be Europe's "organic food champion" will demand some serious investment and a level of spending that could hit the company's margins.
What's more without a recovery in the organic food sector within the next two years, Wessanen's investment could reap few rewards - and perhaps cause more pressure on the company's already-fragile balance sheet.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016